Sunday, January 11, 2009

My American Side

When I first arrived in France, one of my chief concerns was fitting in, as you can imagine. It was time to be French, not American! My friends and I would speak in hushed voices on the metro, some of us not speaking English at all, if we could help it.

Well, it's different now. I am quite in touch with my American impulses and act on them as often as I can. This means drinking (real) coffee in Starbucks, reading American literature, American soirĂ©es with American friends, limiting the cholesterol in my diet, and doing manly things. I make very little effort to dress like the French, and have in fact come to despise certain French trends! I try not to be too harsh, though. 

I miss America, it's true. Perhaps this is one reason for my mild bitterness. These things considered, I still have a great time. It is a mild winter that facilitates, rather than prohibits, activity. Living in the magnificent city of Paris makes having fun easy. All the same, my friends and I eagerly await Spring. 

In the meanwhile, my command of the French language is better than ever. This Friday I begin an internship at an art gallery in the 3e arrondissement, la galerie Polaris. This is fantastic news to me, as I'm pushing four consecutive weeks of vacation now, not including my German class. I attended an opening this weekend and was shocked, even a bit repulsed, by the artist's work. Nonetheless, I think the experience will be marvelous. More news to come.

On the sports front, I think I may need to cancel my plan to run in the Paris marathon. After some debilitating pain in my knee experienced at the end of November, I was led to take the entire month of December to rest and recover. I ran yesterday for the first time since then, and though the run was quite nice, I experienced the same pain in my knee later that evening. Besides, there will be many more marathons to run in the future. Who wants to train in the winter, anyway? 

  And now, mp3s! Follow the link to download, and please, let me know if you encounter any problems. 

Johnny Western - Cowpoke
Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun
Bertrand Burgalat - Spring Isn't Fair
Crystal Castles - Crimewave      

No comments: