Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm the most French of all the Americans.

It's so true! I got back from the Cévennes Tuesday evening. Of all the places in the world you could possibly go home to, Paris is surely one of the best. It's strangely welcoming. 
Last night I was back on the town on the left bank to bid a friend farewell, and was having a troublesome time finding my way. Over the course of an hour, I asked several strangers for directions, pleading with them, "I'm sorry, I'm from the right bank and I have no knowledge of the 6th arrondissement." With the right kind of smile, most Parisians will lend a helping hand. I finally arrived at my destination. 
I recall one afternoon when two female metro officials asked a cluster of young men and women, myself included, to help carry a wheelchair-bound man up a flight of stairs to exit the station. Three of us automatically stepped forward, took hold of the old man's chair, and carried his old bones up the stairs. It was but a small effort; he was very light. Still, it was a unique moment, taking part in an unrewarded good deed.

Anyways, les Cévennes were wonderful. We spent five and a half days relaxing, eating, walking, and exploring in the beautiful surroundings. In the company of these French friends, there is no uneasy language barrier to bar our relationships. In the calm of the countryside, we got to know one another without the additional stresses of school, the city, or our personal schedules. We were all at ease in a large house in a beautiful place with a full refrigerator, a decent stereo (what a luxury!), and absolutely nothing to do all day but talk, cook, dance, and stroll. I have many special memories from this extended weekend. Here are some photos. 





More photos to come, I'm needed at the moment!

No comments: