Monday, September 1, 2008

L'Atterrissage

I am writing from Tours, France, where I will be living for the next 12 days or so. It's a beautiful medium-sized (300,000) city in the heart of the country, just below the French corn belt. The city itself does not boast any great landmarks or features, but it is nonetheless a wonderfully relaxed and beautiful city where a five minute walk will take you from the quiet residential quarters to the happening town square. Our days have been action packed, though I think the constant distraction from being jet lagged has assisted my recovery greatly.

After a brief stay with a temporary host family, I have been united with my assigned family who live on the other side of the Loire river. My 10 minute walk to the Institut de Touraine is now a 10 minute bike ride, ou conduit à vélo, much to my satisfaction. Now I must report to a meeting, though I intend to make updates soon.

3 comments:

Martha said...

Thanks for the bonne update. Any chance you could post a photo avec le velo?

Perry Lentz said...

I just read seventy pages about Gregory of Tours--a cool cat, to be certain.

Puck said...

Your blog title image is one that an ole dog like me can remember. How old, you may wonder?

This locomotive was designed by Raymond Loewy and called the S1, first put into service by the Pennsylvania Railroad Co. in 1938 to pull the luxury train Broadway Limited.

I once took aim at one of its high wheels while it was standing in a station only a short run from my dog house.